Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering.


"Where were you when the world stopped turning, that September day?"
-Alan Jackson

It has been 10 years. Can you remember where you were? How you were feeling? What you did? Can you remember the day as clearly as most americans? I can and I was only in 5th grade.
I remember my teacher getting an e-mail or SOMEthing that made her turn the T.V. on in the corner of the room which revealed the horrible event that had just taken place. We all watched, trying not to get teary eyed because it wasn't "cool" but all just sitting in silence. Then coming home after school to continue watching everything unfold on just about every station on T.V. It was horrifying.

So tonight I watched a few documentaries about that day, as I do every year, and I am just filled with so much emotion. I was brought up in a very patriotic home. I'm so proud of anyone in the military, of fire fighters, and of police men. I have always been taught to respect them with all i've got, to respect the flag, to honor those who have fallen, to stand at attention and recite the Pledge of Allegiance, and to be thankful for this great country.

I am not angry at what happened. For my anger cannot help anything, take it back, or be constructive. I am humbled. I know that anything can happen in just a blink of an eye. It may be something awful or something good, but nevertheless things happen quickly. I am proud. Proud of those men and women who fought to save themselves and others when those towers were falling. Proud of those fire fighters and police men. They may have been full of fear but it did not stop them from doing the right thing. For they did not do anything to become heros, they were only thinking of others and how they could help. I am thankful to be a part of a great country. It may not be perfect but nothing ever is. Every day is a new day to grow and learn from September 11th, 2001. Everyday we grow stronger.

September 11th will never be forgotten. It still makes me sad that something so tragic like that act of terrorism happened. Words are not enough to explain how I feel about it. I just find it so important to thank those who we now call our heros, I express my sorrow to those who were lost and their families, and I make sure that my family always know that I love them. For that is one of the most important lessons, I think, that can be learned from all of this.

You never know when the end is coming, when YOUR end is coming. So say "I love you" often. Tell those close to you how much they mean to you. Say thank you to the brave men and women serving our country. Whether it be a soldier, police men, or fire fighters...always thank them for their service. Hug often, laugh more, love deeply, be yourself, and love God. That is all so important because you just never know when you'll be leaving this earth.

Speaking of God, I found this and loved it.

"As you might remember, the head of a company survived 9/11 because his son started kindergarten. Another fellow was alive because it was his turn to bring donuts. One woman was late because her alarm clock didn't go off in time. One was late because of being stuck on the NJ Turnpike because of an auto accident. One of them missed his bus. One spilled food on her clothes and had to take time to change. One's car wouldn't start. One couldn't get a taxi. The one that struck me was the man who put on a new pair of shoes that morning, took the various means to get to work but before he got there, he developed a blister on his foot...He stopped at a drugstore to buy a Band-Aid. That is why he is alive today..Now when I am stuck in traffic, miss an elevator, turn back to answer a ringing telephone...all the little things that annoy me...I think to myself, 'This is exactly where God wants me to be at this very moment'. Next time your morning seems to be going wrong, the children are slow getting dressed, you can't seem to find the car keys, you hit every traffic light, don't get mad or frustrated; it may be just that God is at work watching over you. May God continue to bless you with all those annoying little things and may you remember their possible purpose."

So. Always remember. Always. Everyone has a plan for them and there is a purpose for everything. We may not understand right now the reason for each little thing...but there is a reason. So just always remember, today and everyday.

Until Then. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment